Ok, there’s no other way to say it, you’re short. Basically if you’re under 5’4” then you’re petite. Finding clothes can be a challenge akin to scaling Everest, particularly if you want to avoid looking like a little girl, or worse, a little old lady. Keep these tips in mind on your quest:
- Less is more: no fuss, no clutter, keep it simple.
- Your clothes must fit – nothing baggy! Baggy clothes make you look wider, then you look shorter.
- Show lots of leg, it will make you look taller.
- Choose trousers that lengthen your legs and make you look taller – wear your hemline to the floor and your waistband slightly higher.
- Go for soft draping fabrics like wool.
- No pleats, pockets, detailing, cropped pants or turn-ups. They will all distract from the lines and make you look shorter.
- Avoid blocky patterns and jumbles of color. Opt for very small prints or better yet a bright color.
- Straight cut jeans are the best. Avoid wide leg, boot-cut or anything fussy as they will just add width and make you look shorter.
- Tuck your top into your jeans or wear it just hitting the waist to elongate your frame. Skip belts because they will simply break up the line of your body making you appear shorter.
- Dresses are the best choice for you, preferably in one color from shoulder to knee.
- Avoid two tone dresses as they cut up your body and make you look shorter.
- A sheath dress or slip dress is ideal.
- Try to avoid high necklines though or it’ll look like the dress is wearing you.
- Empire lines are great as they’ll bring the focus to your legs making your look taller. Go as high as you dare with hemlines.
- A slim pencil skirt is perfect for you. A higher waisted skirt will also make your body look longer and taller.
- An A-line will make you look wider, hence shorter.
- Vertical pleating or seaming on a dress or skirt will draw the eye down and make you look taller.
- Keep tops simple, simple, simple.
- A one color v-neck knit will look great. Avoid layering if you can help it as it’s will add width and make you look shorter.
- Jackets should be tailored with a waist slightly higher than your actual line and finishing on top of your hip to make you look longer.
- Narrow pinstripes are great for elongating your body.
- Keep sleeves thin to keep your width as narrow as possible.
- Boots are not a good idea as they cut your leg and make you look shorter.
- So will ankle straps. A pointy toe cut away arch gives maximum leg exposure.
- Proportion is key – keep your bags and heels a size that flatters rather than overwhelms your small frame.
- The same with accessories – they’re meant to highlight not overwhelm.
Your best look is always going to be dresses; something that A simple sheath dress in one color is perfect for you. Wear it with your favorite heels to spice it up and you’ll look leggy and fabulous.
Usually it’s best to avoid a belt, or anything that will detract from your overall shape and cut your body and spoil the long lovely lines we’re trying to create. If the belt is the same color as the dress then it will give you a little more definition at your waist.
Go for casual chic for daytime wear.
A high waisted pencil skirt in a neutral shade will be great because you can pair it with your favorite top. The higher waist makes your body look longer and you taller.